During the Great Kitchen Counter Cleanup of 2012, I realized that this gorgeous jar I bought a few months ago never really had a purpose. I tried filling it with fruit, but the younger kids couldn’t reach it then and I always worried the lid would break. Filling it with sugar or flour wasn’t practical either because I have an ant problem every spring and it’s not vacuum sealed. Wren and I dug up some irish moss from the garden and bought a Pilea plant which has really cool textured leaves, and voilà, a terrarium. I really wanted to use a fern, but I couldn’t find one small enough. The pilea will have to be moved eventually, I think, because it will grow too big. In the meantime, I love it. A few pictures of the process are here and there is lots of terrarium inspiration here.